Conisbrough & Denaby Main
From the book 'Photographs of Old Conisbrough' published by
June and Tony Greathead
Copied by kind permission of June Greathead.
This area was formerly a paddock and opened as a Park on 22nd June 1911 to commemorate the Coronation of George V. The main event of the day though was the unveiling of a lamp and fountain which were placed on the periphery of the park at the junction of Castle Hill and Low Road. The cost of the fountain as £30, made by George Wright of Rotherham, plus fixing costs.
One hundred and fifty pounds was raised by public subscription, the remaining money being spend on a 'Coronation' tea for the village's children and old people.
The unveiling was performed by Mrs Godfrey Walker who had travelled from her home in Scarborough. She had provided as a gift to Conisbrough the land that had been used for the Park. At the time the land was valued at around £540. Mrs Walker also donated a further £150 to cover the expense of footpaths and iron railings.
Opening of Drinking Fountain
Coronation Park 1920
Fountain and Children
World War One Gun in park